Sea moss has been used as a beauty item for centuries. Also known as the Irish Sea Moss, this sea plant grows abundantly along the Caribbean and the Irish Coast. It is one of the most valuable ocean plants with 92 out of 102 minerals in our bodies. A little history of the plant, back in the 18th century during the Irish Potato Famine, it was one of the most common foods available. It much more persistent during the hard farming times and hence its popularity during these periods, it was rarely used as food when there was plenty and has only recently regained its popularity in Ireland and other countries because of its health benefits.
It can be used in various forms; however, one of the most common forms is in its gel form. The gel form is especially handy because it can be stored for long-term use. You can use it for 2-3 weeks when stored in a fridge. The gel has various applications.
Sea Moss gel is one of the most effective natural products for a smooth and beautiful face. Sea Moss facial mask helps in the treatment of diseases like dermatitis and inflammation while the sodium found in the plant is used in face-lifting treatments. Use the following procedure.
- Use warm water and soap to clean your face. Dry with a clean towel
- Pour a small amount of sea moss gel into the palms of your hands. Rub the gel into your hands and gently apply it on your entire face
- Wait until the face tightens ( 15 – 20 minutes)
- Rinse your face with warm water to clean the gel
- Apply a good cream, oil, or moisturizer
NB: Depending on the number of toxins on your skin, you may experience some itching when you apply the gel on your face. However, the itching will only last in a few minutes.
Sea moss is rich in vitamins, minerals, and other vital nutrients. That is why Sea Moss served as a tea continues to attract attention from health experts to provide a refreshment while supplying users’ with the health benefits. When used in tea, it is associated with health benefits that include immune support, digestive health, emotional health, and thyroid support. Taking sea moss tea will energize your body and assist in removing mucus from your system. The process of making sea moss tea is easy, as explained below.
- Boil 2-3 cups of water
- Add one tablespoon of sea moss
- Stir well until the gel dissolves
- To sweeten, add 100% agave or dates
- You can use other herbal teas like Tila, raspberry, ginger, fennel, elderberry, chamomile, burdock, anise, and allspice.
Sea Moss is full of potassium, one of the most essential minerals in our bodies. Although the cells cannot function without this vital mineral, our bodies cannot conserve it. Taking potassium-rich foods such as Sea Moss smoothie can improve mental functioning and behavior. Taking Sea Moss smoothie regularly can also be used to help in the management of anxiety disorders, depression, agitation, and moodiness among others. You can use Sea Moss gel in raw Cacao smoothie using the following ingredients.
- ½ oz of soaked Sea Moss that is creamy (after blending)
- A cup of water
- Four cups of almond milk
- A banana
- To sweeten, add 2-3 tablespoons of agave or 4-6 Medjool dates
- 2-3 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- A tablespoon of coconut oil or butter
- A tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Put the ingredients in a blender and mix until you get a creamy mixture.